If you love brownies, you have to try this Brownie Pie! It’s a brownie baked right into a pie shell, and topped with ice cream, chocolate sauce, and sprinkles.
Now this is a pie for a celebration! Brownie Pie is a fun, easy dessert that everyone will love.
The base is a store-bought pie shell. Then, a homemade brownie batter is poured inside, and baked to perfection. If you’re short on time or ingredients, you can use brownie mix instead (more on that below).
Finally, you can top slices of the pie with ice cream, chocolate sauce (or homemade hot fudge!), and sprinkles.
You could even make this into a “top-your-own brownie pie party”. Set out a variety of toppings, and let everyone choose their favorites!
This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links support Gift of Hospitality at no additional cost to you. I receive a commission if you choose to make a purchase through these links.
- An unbaked pie shell is the base of the pie. You can either use a frozen shell (which is already rolled out and crimped) or a refrigerated shell, which you’ll need to crimp yourself.
- You’ll need unsweetened chocolate for this recipe. You can substitute semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate—it’ll just be a little sweeter!
- Corn syrup keeps the brownies moist and fudge-like.
- I love the crunch of walnuts in this recipe. You can substitute pecans or chocolate chips if you’d like!
How to make brownie pie
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Then, place the unsweetened chocolate and the butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals until the butter is melted. Whisk to melt the chocolate.
Add the rest of the ingredients, except the walnuts and pie shell, and whisk until combined. The batter will be more runny than typical brownie batter—that’s ok!
Stir in the walnuts with a spatula. Pour the mixture into the unbaked pie shell.
Carefully place the pie into the oven. Bake for 30–35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let the pie cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! I tested this recipe with Ghirardelli brownie mix as a substitute, and it worked well. You will need to bake the pie for longer than the recipe says, as store-bought brownie mixes are typically thicker. I recommend following the baking time instructions on the box for an 8×8 inch dish.
Definitely! Here’s a recipe for all-butter pie crust that I love. Roll out the crust and crimp the edges, then follow the brownie pie recipe steps as directed.
Yes, you can leave out the walnuts for this pie. You can replace them with 1 cup of chopped pecans or 1 cup of chocolate chips, if you’d like!
To make a dairy-free brownie pie, you’ll need to adapt the following:
1) Purchase a dairy-free pie crust.
2) Substitute a non-dairy milk for the cow’s milk in the recipe.
3) Substitute a non-dairy butter (such as Earth Balance sticks) for the butter in the recipe.
4) Check to make sure that the unsweetened chocolate that you purchase is dairy-free.
5) Serve it with dairy-free ice cream.
Yes! Many frozen pie shells are sold two per package, so making two pies is a good idea! Click the “2x” button on the recipe card below for the ingredients to make two pies.
Now the fun part: topping the brownie pie! Here are some ideas for toppings. Set your favorite toppings out and let everyone choose their own.
- Hot fudge (store-bought or homemade)
- Ice cream
- Sprinkles (rainbow, chocolate, etc.)
- Whipped cream
- Caramel sauce
- Chocolate chips
- Peanut butter chips or butterscotch chips
- Chopped pecans, walnuts, or peanuts
Serving and storing
To serve the pie, cut it into 6–8 slices. If it’s no longer warm, I suggest warming it briefly in the microwave for 15–20 seconds per slice. This is especially key if you are serving it with ice cream—the combination of warm brownie and cold ice cream is irresistible!
To store the pie, place the entire pie in a resealable container, or cover the top with foil. The pie will keep on the countertop for 3–4 days at room temperature, or in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Have you tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating and/or comment below!
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- To serve: ice cream chocolate sauce, sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the butter and unsweetened chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals until the butter is melted. Whisk to melt the chocolate.
- Whisk in the sugar, milk, flour, corn syrup, vanilla, salt, and eggs until smooth. Fold in the nuts with a spatula.
- Pour the mixture into the pie shell, and bake for 30–35 minutes. Let cool, then cut into slices and serve with ice cream, chocolate sauce, and sprinkles (if desired).
Leave a Reply