This post has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and Mahatma® Ready to Serve Rice. All opinions are mine alone. #MahatmaFastRice #MahatmaRice #MahatmaRiceUnites #CollectiveBias
Slow cooker meals are some of my favorites. Who doesn’t love coming home to dinner that is ready to eat?
Chicken curry on the stovetop is one of my go-to weeknight meals. But with a baby on the way, I wanted to develop a slow cooker version to use when time is tight.
This Slow Cooker Chicken Curry is the result! It takes just 10 minutes to prepare the ingredients for the slow cooker and 4 hours of hands-off cooking. I paired it with Mahatma® Ready to Serve Rice to make the whole meal an easy one.
Interested in trying out the Mahatma® Ready to Serve Rice offerings? Hover over the photo above to click through to Walmart.com for purchasing.
Here’s how I made it:
I combined chicken, onion, curry powder, turmeric, sea salt, grated fresh ginger, coconut milk, and frozen cauliflower in a slow cooker.
After 4 hours on high, dinner is done!
You have the option to add the cauliflower at the beginning with all of the other ingredients, or toward the end with 30 minutes of cooking time left. The latter results in a crisper texture for the cauliflower, if you prefer that!
Since we are going for quick and easy, Mahatma® Ready to Serve Rice is the perfect side dish for the slow cooker chicken curry. Mahatma® is America’s Favorite Rice and it is now available at Walmart (I found it in the grocery aisle conveniently labeled “rice”). It’s easy and quick to prepare and easy to clean up!
The rice is quick and easy to prepare—it takes just 90 seconds in the microwave to create perfect rice.
I love that this curry recipe is an all-in-one meal. You have the chicken for protein, the onion and cauliflower as the veggies, and the rice to round out the meal. There’s no need to think up other side dishes because this recipe has everything covered. That is a win for weeknight dinner at our house!
We tried the slow cooker chicken curry with both the jasmine variety and the cilantro lime variety of rice. Jasmine rice is a classic pairing, but I have to say that I loved the flavor of the cilantro lime rice! It has a nice zip from the lime that is not overpowering and complements the curry really nicely.
Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
Slow Cooker Chicken Curry is a warm and comforting meal to come home to—it’s made entirely in the slow cooker!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Entrée
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Indian
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1½ lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 (12 oz) package frozen cauliflower
- 2 packages Mahatma® Ready to Serve Rice (Jasmine or Cilantro Lime)
- For garnish: chopped cilantro, lime wedges
- Chop the chicken thighs into 1 inch pieces. Place the chicken thighs, onion, curry powder, turmeric, sea salt, ginger, and coconut milk in a slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 3 hours. Add the frozen cauliflower, replace the lid, and cook for 30 minutes more.
- To serve, heat the packages of Mahatma® Ready to Serve Rice in the microwave according to package directions.
- Pour the rice onto plates and top with the chicken curry. Garnish with chopped cilantro and lime wedges, if desired.
Nutrition facts below are for the chicken curry only (rice not included).
Keywords: slow cooker, curry