This Easy Dorito Chicken Casserole is serious comfort food! It’s creamy, cheesy, and crunchy at the same time, and kids and adults of all ages will love it.
A casserole made with Doritos?! Hear me out! This Easy Dorito Chicken Casserole seriously blew my mind. It’s simple to make and WOW is it good!
It starts with a layer of crushed Doritos, followed by seasoned sour cream and chicken, followed by more Doritos and shredded cheese.
It’s comfort food at its finest!
The crunch of the chips complements the creamy, cheesy casserole really nicely, and the texture difference (also known as “mouth feel”) makes our taste buds happy.
If you love Doritos, you HAVE to try this casserole!
This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links support Gift of Hospitality at no additional cost to you. I receive a commission if you choose to make a purchase through these links.
- This recipe serves 5–6. If you’re only feeding 3–4 people, I recommend halving the recipe. The Doritos get soft as the casserole sits, so leftovers aren’t as crunchy.
- Save yourself from cleaning another dish: crush the Doritos while they’re still in the bag.
- Like it spicy? Use Flamin’ Hot Doritos instead of the Nacho Cheese flavor!
- You’ll need one regular sized bag of Doritos (the nacho cheese flavor).
- I used baked chicken breasts for the cooked chicken, though a shredded rotisserie chicken would work well, too.
- The chicken gets coated with sour cream—regular or light is fine.
- Chili powder, garlic powder, and salt season the chicken.
- The casserole is topped with shredded cheddar and mozzarella.
How to make Easy Dorito Chicken Casserole
Start by crushing the Doritos. I like to open the bag a little bit and crush them (while still inside the bag) with my hands. They should be bite-size.
Next, stir together the chicken, sour cream, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt.
Layer half of the Doritos into the bottom of a 13×9 inch casserole dish. Top with the chicken mixture.
Top with the remaining Doritos and sprinkle with cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until the casserole is warm throughout.
Easy Dorito Chicken Casserole is best served warm from the oven. While it can be reheated, the chips lose some of their crunch.
If you don’t think you’ll eat all of the casserole at once, I recommend making half of the recipe in an 8×8 inch pan.
Since the casserole is quite rich, I like to serve a leafy green salad or fresh veggies and dip (such as this easy Dill Dip) on the side.
Frequently Asked Questions
Because the Doritos will get soggy, I don’t recommend freezing this casserole.
Dorito Chicken Casserole is best served warm from the oven right after it’s made. However, if you’d like to reheat it, heat it in a 350°F oven until warm (about 15–20 minutes if it’s cold). The Doritos will not be as crunchy.
This casserole is designed to be used with cooked chicken. It does not bake for long enough to cook raw chicken (and the Doritos will burn if you cook it too long).
You can make the casserole with shredded rotisserie chicken or even packaged grilled chicken strips if you don’t want to cook the chicken yourself.
Can I make Dorito Chicken Casserole ahead?
While this casserole is best served warm from the oven, you can do several parts ahead:
- crush the Doritos and set them aside
- prepare the chicken (cook/chop it, or shred if it’s a rotisserie chicken)
- stir together the chicken and sour cream/spice mixture together (refrigerate the mixture until you’re ready to use it)
The good news is, this casserole is really quick to prepare, even if you don’t do anything ahead of time.
Easy Dorito Chicken Casserole can be customized based on what you like and what you have on hand.
- Use Cool Ranch Doritos instead of Nacho Cheese Doritos
- Like it spicy? Use Flamin’ Hot Doritos!
- Substitute monterey jack, pepper jack, or swiss cheese for either of the shredded cheeses in the recipe
- Both chicken breasts, chicken thighs, or rotisserie chicken works well for this recipe. If you’re starting with raw chicken, you can bake, poach, or grill it.
- You can use either regular or light sour cream.
Side dish ideas
Since Easy Dorito Chicken Casserole is a hearty dish, I recommend a light side dish such as a a green salad.
The flavors of the casserole lean toward Tex-Mex, so a Southwestern salad (even one from a bag—I like the one from Trader Joe’s) would pair perfectly with it.
Or you could serve it with a variety of chopped veggies (broccoli, celery, carrots, grape tomatoes) and dip. I love this Dill Dip!
Have you tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating and/or comment below!
Easy Dorito Chicken Casserole
- 1 (9.25 oz) bag Doritos (Nacho Cheese flavor)
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Open the bag of Doritos slightly at the top. Use your hands to crush the chips into roughly 1-inch pieces. Scatter half of the Doritos in the bottom of a 13×9 inch dish.
- In a large bowl, stir together the chicken, sour cream, chili powder, salt, and garlic powder. Spread over the Doritos.
- Sprinkle the remaining Doritos on top, and cover with the cheeses.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the casserole is warm throughout.