This easy bread pudding for two people is lightly sweet, and can be topped with your favorite toppings, like caramel sauce!
Most dessert recipes yield a entire cake, at least two dozen cookies, or a whole pan of brownies.
However, I love a dessert recipe that serves two. And this Bread Pudding for Two is one of them! It serves exactly two people with no leftovers and no waste.
It’s soft on the bottom, a little crisp on top (similar to French Toast Casserole) and just lightly sweet, so you can add toppings to your heart’s content!
- You’ll need 2.5 cups of cubed (soft) French bread. I used one large French roll from my grocery store’s self-serve bakery section.
- Milk and egg combine to make the custard.
- A little bit of granulated sugar makes it sweet.
- Vanilla extract creates a delightful vanilla flavor that will waft from the oven—yum!
- Caramel sauce or chocolate sauce are great toppings for drizzling on top.
- Whipped cream is optional but really yummy!
How to make bread pudding for two
Start with one large soft roll. I found one at my bakery’s self-serve bread area. One roll yield approximately 2.5 cups of cubed bread. You could also use brioche or any soft bread.
Cube the bread and place it in a well greased 8×4 inch loaf pan. Or, divide the bread between two (8 oz) greased ramekins if you prefer to serve it straight from the dish.
Drizzle the bread with melted butter.
Whisk together the egg, milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt.
Pour the mixture over the bread, and press down with clean hands or a spatula until the bread soaks up most of the liquid.
Place the pan in the oven and bake for 25–28 minutes, or until the top starts to turn light brown and the custard has set.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! After you pour the milk mixture over the bread, place a piece of plastic wrap over the pan. Refrigerate for up to 24 hours before baking.
If you have any leftovers (though I don’t suspect that you will!), cover the bread pudding and refrigerate it. To serve warm, place it in a 350°F for 5 minutes until warmed through.
A soft French bread or brioche work well for bread pudding. It can even be stale (but it doesn’t have to be).
Next is the fun part: the toppings!
I opted for caramel sauce, whipped cream, and blueberries. Here are a few more ideas:
- sliced strawberries
- fresh blackberries
- sliced mango
- mini chocolate chips or chocolate shavings
- chocolate sauce
- Nutella (microwave it until it’s pourable)
- bourbon butter sauce (YES!)
- creme anglaise
Since the bread pudding bakes in about 25 minutes, you can place it in the oven right before you sit down to dinner, and it’ll be done when you’re ready for dessert.
Bread Pudding for Two would be perfect for a date night at home, or a Valentine’s Day dessert, or really anytime that you are craving bread pudding but don’t want a whole dish of it!
Have you tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating and/or comment below!
Bread Pudding For Two
- 1 soft French roll, cut into 1 inch cubes (about 2½ cups of cubes)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- For drizzling: store-bought salted caramel sauce or chocolate sauce
- For garnish, if desired: fresh fruit, whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8×4 inch loaf pan with butter or cooking spray (see note below for another option for ramekins). Place the cubed bread in the greased pan and drizzle with melted butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, milk, egg, vanilla, and salt. Pour the mixture over the bread. Push the bread down gently for a few seconds so that it begins to soak up the egg mixture.
- Place the pan in the oven. Bake for 23–25 minutes, or until the top springs back slightly when tapped.
- Let cool slightly, slice in half, and place the squares of bread pudding on plates. Drizzle with caramel sauce right before serving and garnish with whipped cream and fresh fruit, if desired.
- You can also make this in 2 (8 oz) ramekins. Follow instructions as written (be sure to grease the ramekins) and bake for 23–25 minutes.
- This recipe can easily be tweaked. Add a small handful of chocolate chips. Add a couple tablespoons of raisins and ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon. Or skip the caramel or chocolate sauce and drizzle with warmed nutella!
Leave a Reply