This decadent 6-layer Buster Bar Dessert is modeled after Dairy Queen’s famous Buster Bars. With Oreos, chocolate, peanuts, and ice cream, what’s not to love?
Now THIS is a serious ice cream cake! This Easy Buster Bar Dessert is six layers of delicious: an Oreo crust, vanilla ice cream, chocolate fudge, peanuts, whipped topping, and more Oreos on top.
Similar to this Ice Cream Sandwich Dessert, it’s cool and creamy, easy to make, and perfect for sharing with friends and family. In fact, it’s my husband’s new favorite dessert!
This particular recipe is from a late 1980s church cookbook, and the inspiration behind this dessert is a Buster Bar from Dairy Queen.
DQ describes the bar as “layer after layer of chocolatey fudge, peanuts and soft serve dipped in luscious, chocolatey coating”. It’s served on a stick, and I can attest that it is beyond delicious.
This cake takes it a step further, and makes “buster bars” for a crowd! It’s made in a 9×13 inch pan, so there’s plenty for sharing (or for stashing in the freezer for yourself later…).
This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links support Gift of Hospitality at no additional cost to you. I receive a commission if you choose to make a purchase through these links.
You’ll need six ingredients:
- A family-size package of Oreos (you don’t have to use Double Stuf; regular are fine, too!)
- We’ll mix the Oreos with butter to create a crust
- A half gallon of your favorite vanilla ice cream
- A jar of hot fudge topping
- Spanish peanuts
- Whipped topping (such as Cool Whip; you can also use whipped cream)
How to make this easy Buster Bar Dessert
Remove the vanilla ice cream from the freezer to soften. You don’t want the ice cream to melt, just for it to be easily spreadable. This takes about 20 minutes at room temperature.
While the ice cream is softening, place the Oreos in a food processor. Process until finely ground.
If you don’t have a food processor, you can place them in a large resealable freezer bag, and pound them with a rolling pin until fine crumbs form.
Reserve 1 cup of Oreo crumbs for the top of the dessert, then mix the remaining crumbs with 4 tablespoons of melted butter. Press the mixture firmly into a 9×13 inch pan.
Top the Oreo crust with scoops of the vanilla ice cream.
Use an offset spatula to spread the ice cream evenly over the crust. Freeze for at least one hour, or until firm.
After the ice cream layer is firm, microwave the jar of hot fudge topping until it’s pourable. Let cool slightly.
Then, pour it over the cake, and top with the Spanish peanuts.
Top the peanut layer with the whipped topping, then sprinkle the reserved Oreo crumbs on top.
Freeze the dessert for at least two hours, or up to several days.
Cut into slices and serve!
Can I make Buster Bar Dessert ahead of time?
Buster Bar Dessert is the perfect make-ahead dessert. The entire dessert can be made and stored in the freezer for several days before serving it. When you’re ready to serve it, just slice and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Substitute 3 cups of whipped cream in place of the whipped topping.
Spanish peanuts are traditionally used in Buster Bars, so I recommend using them if you can find them. If not, substitute salted dry roasted peanuts. The salt is key for the sweet/salty flavor in this dessert!
You can crush the Oreos without the food processor. Here’s how: place the Oreos in a large resealable freezer bag. Seal the bag and bang the Oreos with a rolling pin or meat mallet until finely ground. You may need to do this in batches.
Top tips for Buster Bar Dessert
- Ice cream will get icy if it melts and then re-freezes. To avoid that, leave the ice cream out at room temperature for 20 minutes max before scooping it into the dessert.
- Similarly, let the hot fudge topping cool slightly after microwaving so it doesn’t melt the ice cream.
- Want to change it up? You can substitute your favorite flavor of ice cream in place of the vanilla.
More ice cream desserts
- Easy Ice Cream Sandwich Dessert starts with a layer of ice cream sandwiches
- Mississippi Mud Ice Cream Pie is a coffee lover’s dream
- Strawberry Icebox Cake is made with whipped cream instead of ice cream, but WOW is it good!
Have you tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating and/or comment below!
Easy Buster Bar Dessert
- 42 Oreo cookies (approximately one package)
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ gallon vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup Spanish peanuts
- 1 (11 oz) jar hot fudge topping
- 1 (8 oz) container whipped topping (such as Cool Whip)
- Remove vanilla ice cream from the freezer to soften slightly.
- Place cookies in a food processor. Process until finely ground. Reserve 1 cup of Oreo crumbs for the top of the dessert.
- Place the remaining crumbs in a large bowl and mix with the melted butter. Press firmly in an even layer into a 9×13 inch pan.
- Top the Oreo crust with scoops of the softened ice cream. Spread it evenly over the crust. Freeze for 1 hour.
- Microwave the hot fudge topping just until it’s pourable. Let cool slightly. Pour it over the ice cream, then top with the peanuts. Spread the whipped topping on top, and sprinkle with the reserved Oreo crumbs.
- Freeze the dessert until firm, at least 1 hour or up to several days. Cut into slices and serve.