With just five ingredients, this Easy Ice Cream Sandwich Dessert is quick to make. It’s perfect for a celebration, or anytime an ice cream craving hits!
Cool, creamy, sweet, and chocolatey, this Easy Ice Cream Sandwich Dessert has it all!
It’s like an ice cream sandwich meets an ice cream sundae and GOSH is it good. It’s the perfect dessert for a warm summer day, just like my Mississippi Mud Pie and this Strawberry Icebox Cake.
And, it’s super easy to make. You just layer everything into a casserole dish, freeze, and serve. So basically we’re making an ice cream sandwich casserole!
I’ll also show you a super easy trick for getting the prettiest chocolate curls!
This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links support Gift of Hospitality at no additional cost to you. I receive a commission if you choose to make a purchase through these links.
- You can use whatever size ice cream sandwiches that you have (mini, regular size, etc.)—you just need to cut/break them to fit the pan.
- Thaw the whipped topping in the refrigerator overnight so you can spread it.
- You can change the size of the chocolate curls by changing the temperature of the chocolate bar. A room temperature bar will yield medium sized curls. A colder bar will yield shorter curls and a slightly warmer bar will yield longer curls. Experiment with it!
- Instead of chocolate curls, top the dessert with mini chocolate chips, or your favorite candy bar chopped into pieces.
You just need 5 ingredients for this recipe:
- Ice cream sandwiches (any size is fine)
- Caramel sauce (from a jar)
- Whipped topping (such as Cool Whip; you can also use homemade whipped cream)
- Chocolate syrup
- A chocolate bar, which we’ll shave into curls with a vegetable peeler
How to make an easy ice cream sandwich dessert
Start by layering ice cream sandwiches into an 8×8 inch casserole dish.
You can use whatever variety or size of ice cream sandwiches that you like here. I needed about 5.5 regular sized ice cream sandwiches for my 8×8 inch pan.
Next, drizzle half a jar of caramel sauce over the top of the ice cream sandwiches.
Next, spread a layer of whipped topping (about 2 cups) over the caramel sauce. I used a store brand; Cool Whip is good, too.
You could also use homemade whipped cream if you prefer.
Freeze the dessert until firm, at least 2 hours or overnight.
How to make chocolate curls
While the dessert is in the freezer, use a vegetable peeler to make chocolate curls by sliding the peeler down the longe edge of the chocolate bar.
The size of the curls depends on the temperature of the chocolate bar. For example, this bar was at room temperature in the summer (we keep our house at 75°F) and it produced medium sized curls.
Whereas I made Chocolate Delight in the winter, when we keep our house at 72°F. It created smaller curls.
So, a warmer bar will create larger curls. If you’re not getting the curls that you want, place the wrapped chocolate bar in between your hands for 20–30 seconds and try again.
Serving the ice cream sandwich dessert
When you’re ready to serve it, cut the Ice Cream Sandwich Dessert into slices and put on plates. Drizzle with chocolate syrup and top with the chocolate curls.
Serve right away!
Make it ahead
This Easy Ice Cream Sandwich Dessert is designed to be made ahead! You can make it several days in advance and store it in the freezer until you’re ready to serve it.
You can also make the chocolate curls in advance. Store them in an airtight container either at room temperature or in the refrigerator. If they’re at room temperature, take care not to place them near the stove or anywhere warm, which could melt them.
So when you’re ready to serve it, you just need to cut the dessert into slices, and top with the chocolate syrup and chocolate curls.
The variations on this dessert are endless! Here are a few to get started:
- Use homemade whipped cream in place of the whipped topping.
- Top the dessert with mini chocolate chips, chopped candy bars, chopped Oreos, sprinkles, or chopped nuts in place of the chocolate curls.
- Double the ingredients and make it in a 9×13 inch dish OR stack the ingredients in the 8×8 inch dish to make a double decker dessert!
- Make it dairy-free by using dairy-free versions of the ingredients. So Delicious brand makes really good ice cream sandwiches with coconut milk. Tru Whip makes a dairy-free whipped topping. Hershey’s chocolate syrup is already dairy-free.
More no-bake desserts
- No-Bake Raspberry Pie
- Banana Split Cake
- Special K Bars (a.k.a. scotcheroos)
- Strawberry Icebox Cake
- Mississippi Mud Ice Cream Pie
- Buster Bar Dessert (tastes like a Buster Bar from Dairy Queen!)
Have you tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating and/or comment below!
Easy Ice Cream Sandwich Dessert
- 6–8 ice cream sandwiches
- ½ cup caramel sauce
- 2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed in the refrigerator overnight (about ⅔ of an 8 oz container)
- ½ cup chocolate syrup (such as Hershey’s syrup)
- 1 chocolate candy bar (such as Hershey’s)
- Place the ice cream sandwiches in a single layer in an 8×8 inch dish. Top with the caramel sauce, then spread the whipped topping over the top.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours.
- While the dessert is in the freezer, use a vegetable peeler to shave curls from the chocolate bar.
- When you’re ready to serve the dessert, remove it from the freezer and cut into slices.
- Drizzle each slice with chocolate sauce and top with chocolate curls.
Leave a Reply