This easy dish is made entirely in the slow cooker. It creates a tender steak in a rich, flavorful tomato gravy. It’s the perfect comfort food meal.
If you’re on the hunt for a warming, comforting, hearty dinner, Smothered Steak is the one!
It’s made with round steak, which is a relatively inexpensive cut of meat. The steak is cooked in a mixture of tomatoes and soy sauce, along with an onion, green pepper, and mushrooms.
Along with a side of rice or buttered noodles, it’s an easy main dish that your family will love. And it’s made entirely in the slow cooker, so clean-up is minimal!
What is smothered steak?
Smothering refers to the technique of braising meat in a rich gravy until it’s tender. In this case, we’ll cook the round steak in a slow cooker. The liquid is made up of crushed tomatoes and soy sauce, and it’s thickened by flour to create a gravy.
After 3–4 hours on high or 7–8 hours on low, the meat is tender, the sauce is thick, and it’s ready to eat!
- Round steak can be found in the meat department of your local grocery store. You can use top round or bottom round. It’ll be sold as a large flat steak, which we will cut into strips.
- Flour thickens the gravy while it cooks. All-purpose flour is perfect here.
- A can of crushed tomatoes and a few tablespoons of soy sauce create the rich gravy.
- An onion, mushrooms, and a green pepper make the gravy flavorful.
How to make smothered steak
Cut the steak into thin strips. Place the steak, flour, salt and pepper in a slow cooker.
Toss the mixture together until the steak is well coated with the flour.
Add the soy sauce, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, and crushed tomatoes.
Stir the mixture to combine.
Place the lid on the slow cooker, and cook for 4 hours on high or 7–8 hours on low.
Can I use diced tomatoes instead of crushed tomatoes?
Yes! Either diced tomatoes or crushed tomatoes work for this recipe.
Can I use fresh mushrooms instead of canned?
You can use either fresh mushrooms or canned mushrooms for this recipe. If you’re using fresh, slice 8 ounces of mushrooms (white button or baby bella) and use them in place of the canned mushrooms.
How to serve smothered steak
Smothered steak has a rich gravy that’s perfect for soaking into rice, noodles, or bread.
I like serving the steak on top of white rice or buttered noodles. Along with a veggie or salad, and a side of bread, it’s an easy, flavorful meal.
Here are a few easy veggie recipes that would pair nicely with the steak:
- 1½ lbs round steak, cut into strips
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 (16 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (4 oz) can sliced mushrooms (or substitute 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms)
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- Place the steak strips, flour, salt, and pepper in a slow cooker.
- Stir the mixture until the steak is well coated with the flour.
- Add the onion, tomatoes, mushrooms, green pepper, and soy sauce.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook for 4 hours on high or 7–8 hours on low.
- Serve with rice or buttered noodles.