Chocolate Chip Dip with cream cheese is a sweet treat that everyone will love. Serve it with fruit and graham crackers for dipping!
If you have a sweet tooth like me, Chocolate Chip Dip with Cream Cheese is a dream come true! Who doesn’t want dessert disguised as an appetizer?!
But really, you can serve this dip as an appetizer OR a dessert, and people will gobble it up either way.
The recipe comes from an old church cookbook, and it’s easy to see why it has stuck around for decades. It’s basically chocolate chip cheesecake turned into a dip, but softer and creamier.
Graham crackers make great dippers, but I’m partial to fruit even more.
My favorite dipper is an apple slice—the apple is sweet and a little tart, and contrasts the sweet and creamy dip just perfectly. Raspberries, strawberries, and bananas are good, too!
This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links support Gift of Hospitality at no additional cost to you. I receive a commission if you choose to make a purchase through these links.
Here’s what you need to make chocolate chip dip:
- Cream cheese and butter form the base of the dip. They should be completely softened before starting the recipe (leave them at room temperature for 2 hours to do that).
- A mix of powdered sugar and brown sugar sweeten the dip.
- Vanilla extract and a pinch of salt amp up the flavors.
- Mini chocolate chips get stirred in at the end—the mini size is the best for scooping!
How to make chocolate chip dip with cream cheese
At least two hours before making the dip, remove the butter and cream cheese from the refrigerator, and place them on the countertop.
Softening the butter and cream cheese is essential for creating a creamy dip. If either or both are cold, then the dip will be lumpy. If you forget or don’t have time, use these instructions for how to soften butter in a hurry. The microwave and cube methods work for cream cheese, too!
Once the butter and cream cheese are softened, place both in a large bowl. Mix them on high with a handheld mixer until fluffy.
Add the vanilla extract, powdered sugar, brown sugar, and salt. Mix on low (to prevent the powdered sugar from flying everywhere) until combined.
Use a spatula to stir in the mini chocolate chips.
Serve with graham crackers and fresh fruit such as apple slices, banana slices, strawberries, and raspberries for dipping.
Can I make Chocolate Chip Dip in advance?
Chocolate Chip Dip with Cream Cheese can be made up to one day ahead. After making it, cover it and place it in the refrigerator. Remove it from the refrigerator 1–2 hours before you’re ready to serve it, otherwise it’ll be too hard to scoop.
I do not recommend freezing the dip. Cream cheese can get an odd texture after its frozen, and the dip will get grainy instead of being creamy.
The dip will keep in the refrigerator for up to five days after serving. Make sure it’s covered with plastic wrap or in an air-tight container before putting it in the fridge.
Frequently Asked Questions
This recipe does not have any gluten-containing ingredients. But always check the label on any packaged items, just to be sure, if that is necessary for you.
Yes! You can easily substitute low-fat cream cheese in place of the full-fat version.
Yes! I prefer mini, but regular sized chips work, too.
Follow these instructions for speeding up the softening time!
No, the texture will be chunky instead of creamy once it’s defrosted. Instead, refrigerate any leftovers for 4–5 days.
Ideas for dippers
Serve the dip in a wide, shallow bowl for scooping. Something about the size of a cereal bowl should work perfectly. Here are a few ideas for what to dip!
- Graham crackers (halved or quartered)
- Graham cracker sticks
- Vanilla wafers
- Pretzel minis, sticks, or snaps (sweet & salty is always delicious!)
- Pretzel crisps
- Apple slices—this is my personal favorite—I love the sweet/tart combo!
- Banana slices (use toothpicks for serving)
More dessert dips
If you have leftover apple slices or pretzels after serving, try one of these sweet dips!
Have you tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating and/or comment below!
Chocolate Chip Dip with Cream Cheese
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips
- To serve: graham crackers and assorted fruit such as apple slices, banana slices, raspberries, and strawberries
- Place the softened cream cheese and softened butter in a large bowl. Mix on high with a hand mixer until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, powdered sugar, brown sugar, and pinch of salt. Mix on low with a hand mixer until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips. Transfer to a serving bowl, and serve with assorted fresh fruit and graham crackers for dipping.
Leave a Reply