Jazz up a weeknight dinner with this Easy Ranch Chicken! With just six ingredients, it’s a truly easy way to create an easy, flavorful baked chicken dinner.
We have chicken at LEAST twice per week at my house, including dishes like Chicken Souvlaki and Easy Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas. But, I’m always looking for ways to make it differently, or jazz it up. This baked Easy Ranch Chicken is a new favorite!
Not to be confused with King Ranch Chicken, this recipe makes pieces of seasoned chicken using both bottled ranch dressing AND ranch dressing mix (from the packet) to create a truly flavorful chicken dish.
And, you can put it together in 5 minutes flat. Then, it’s all hands-off time from there. Bake the chicken and it’s ready to serve!
You’re left with crispy-topped chicken thighs with a fantastic ranch flavor. You can make this recipe with chicken breasts, too!
I like serving it with something simple, like mac & cheese, rice, or crispy garlic potatoes with a leafy green salad on the side.
This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links support Gift of Hospitality at no additional cost to you. I receive a commission if you choose to make a purchase through these links.
Can you season chicken with a ranch packet?
Yes! A packet of ranch seasoning mix has so much flavor, and it’s perfect for seasoning chicken.
For this recipe, we’ll mix ranch seasoning mix with breadcrumbs and butter to create a crispy, flavorful, toasted breadcrumb topping.
- You can make this recipe with bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (like I did), OR you can do boneless skinless chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs. See below for cooking times.
- Don’t have ranch dressing? You can substitute mayonnaise.
- Reheat any leftovers in the oven so the breadcrumb topping stays crispy!
You just need 6 ingredients:
- Chicken thighs (or use chicken breasts—more on that below)
- Ranch dressing
- Ranch seasoning mix
- Panko breadcrumbs
How to make easy ranch chicken
Start by sprinkling the chicken thighs on both sides with salt. Then, brush ranch salad dressing on top.
In a small bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, ranch dressing mix, and melted butter.
Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over each chicken thigh, patting it down gently and making sure the chicken thighs are completely coated on top.
Bake the chicken thighs for 35–40 minutes at 400°F, or until the meat reaches 165°F. The tops should be golden brown.
Serve these Easy Ranch Chicken Thighs with rice, mac & cheese, or roasted potatoes!
Can I use chicken breasts for ranch chicken?
This recipe can easily be adapted for boneless skinless chicken breasts. Follow the recipe as written, but bake the chicken breasts for 22–26 minutes at 400°F, or until they reach 165°F.
You can also make ranch chicken with boneless skinless chicken thighs. Bake for 20–25 minutes at 400°F, or until they reach 165°F.
Leftovers and reheating
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. For best results, reheat the chicken for 10–12 minutes in a 400°F oven. This ensures that the breadcrumbs stay somewhat crispy. The microwave will make them soggy, unfortunately!
Frequently Asked Questions
I don’t recommend freezing ranch chicken, as the breadcrumbs won’t stay crispy after freezing and thawing.
If you don’t have ranch dressing, you can use mayonnaise instead. You will definitely need the packet of ranch dressing mix for the best flavor, though.
Substitute gluten-free panko breadcrumbs (Kikkoman and Ian’s are two brands that make a gluten-free version).
What to serve with ranch chicken
This dish goes with nearly everything! Here are a few ideas:
- White or brown rice
- Buttered noodles
- Cheesy mashed potatoes
- Mac & cheese
- Crispy garlic potatoes
- Leafy green salad
- Roasted broccoli
Have you tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating and/or comment below!
Easy Ranch Chicken
- 2 lbs bone-in skin-on chicken thighs (see notes for chicken breast instructions)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup ranch salad dressing
- ⅔ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon ranch dressing mix (from a packet)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place the chicken thighs on a clean work surface. Sprinkle both sides with the salt.
- Brush the skin of each chicken thigh generously with the ranch dressing.
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs with the butter. Pat the breadcrumbs on top of the chicken thighs.
- Transfer each chicken thigh to a sheet pan. Bake for 35–40 minutes, or until the meat reaches 165°F. Let cool slightly and serve.