These two-bite party sandwiches are the perfect addition to your game day buffet. Kids love them, too!
Watching a sports game is a great way to gather people around, whether it’s a large group or just your family.
It’s also an opportunity to enjoy some fun snacks and appetizers, like my RITZ® Crackers Party Sandwiches.
The sandwiches are a riff on the popular party sandwich that’s made with Hawaiian buns, but I swapped in RITZ® Crackers instead.
- Ritz Crackers are super buttery and are the perfect “bread” for these sandwiches
- Deli ham and sliced swiss will go in between the crackers
- The sandwiches are drizzled with melted butter before baking
- Worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, salt, and dried onion flakes add lots of flavor
- Poppy seeds are a fun addition to the top of the sandwiches
How to make Ritz Cracker sandwiches
Start with two 13×9 inch pans. Place 24 crackers in the bottom of each pan (so you’ll use 48 crackers total on the bottom).
Top the crackers with thin slices of deli ham. You can use honey ham, black forest ham—whichever ham that you prefer.
Then, top the crackers with Swiss cheese. Colby jack, cheddar, or your favorite sliced cheese would work here, too.
Top each sandwich with another Ritz cracker. You’ll use another 48 crackers to top them.
Pour the butter mixture over the top, then sprinkle with poppy seeds and onion flakes.
Bake the sandwiches for 10–12 minutes, or until golden brown.
The end result is a delicious mini sandwich that is irresistible and just the right size for snacking.
Tips for planning a sports party
I served these mini sandwiches at a basketball watching party. They were the perfect complement to the other menu items: my Sweet & Spicy Baked Wings, and Spinach Artichoke Dip (store-bought) with veggies and crackers. I asked my guests to bring salad and dessert to round out the meal.
Here are a few more tips for party planning:
1. Choose decor based on your team’s colors
I chose a variety of red and white decor from my alma mater (University of Wisconsin-Madison). A neutral tablecloth layered with red and white plates and napkins, plus red pom poms (or the colors of your choosing) is simple and shows off the food.
2. Make a few dishes; ask your friends to bring the rest
I made two dishes: my Sweet and Spicy Wings and RITZ® Crackers Party Sandwiches (recipe below!). Ask your friends to bring their favorite party snack or beverage to round out the spread.
3. Make one dish store-bought
I used a store-bought spinach artichoke dip and surrounded it with carrots, broccoli, celery, red peppers, and crackers for dipping. It took 5 minutes to put together and it kept the healthy eaters happy.
4. Add one new item to the buffet
I love discovering new foods and drinks, and it turns out, so do my guests. The newspaper circulars and the Ibotta app are two great places to find new products. For this party, I served Coca-Cola® Orange Vanilla, a brand new flavor.
When a product is new, it’s unlikely that your guests have tried it. And trying new things is part of the fun of a potluck!
RITZ® Crackers Party Sandwiches
- 96 RITZ® Crackers (about 3 sleeves)
- ½ lb thinly sliced deli ham
- ⅓ lb thinly sliced swiss cheese
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place 24 RITZ® Crackers in the bottom of a 13x9 inch baking dish, flat side down. Place another 24 RITZ® Crackers in the bottom of another 13x9 inch baking dish. Tear the ham gently with your hands to create tiny strips (they do not need to be perfect) and lay a lightly folded slice on each RITZ® Cracker.
- Cut the cheese into 1 inch pieces and place one piece of cheese on top of the ham. Top each mini sandwich with another RITZ® Cracker, rounded side up.
- Place the butter in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave until melted, about 45 seconds. Gently whisk in the Dijon mustard, worcestershire sauce, and salt.
- Pour the butter mixture evenly over the mini sandwiches, dividing the mixture evenly between the two pans. Sprinkle the poppy seeds and the dried onion flakes evenly over the top.
- Bake for 10–12 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the tops of the Ritz Crackers are lightly golden brown.
- Transfer to a serving platter and serve while warm.