With the addition of hard boiled eggs and dill pickle relish, this recipe is truly the best Red Potato Salad. And, there’s no need to peel the potatoes!
I love a good shortcut recipe. Anything that saves me time is a welcome addition to my cooking repertoire.
So when I stumbled on this no-peel Best Ever Red Potato Salad in an old church cookbook, I knew I had to try it.
Similar to my family’s German Potato Salad, it has hard boiled eggs both inside the salad and on top. It also sports the addition of red pepper, dill pickle relish, celery, and green onions, plus a creamy mayonnaise dressing made with celery salt.
And best of all, there’s no need to peel the potatoes, making it relatively quick and easy.
The combination of flavors and textures is a true delight. I served this at a cookout recently and it went WAY too quickly!
This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links support Gift of Hospitality at no additional cost to you. I receive a commission if you choose to make a purchase through these links.
- Red potatoes are the star of this salad. No need to peel them!
- The mix-ins include celery, green onions, red pepper, dill pickle relish, and hard boiled eggs. You can purchase the eggs already hard boiled and peeled to save time, if you’d like.
- The mayonnaise dressing is accented with mustard, apple cider vinegar, and celery salt.
How to make red potato salad
You’ll need 7–8 medium red potatoes for this recipe, which makes about 6 cups when chopped.
Cut the potatoes into half-inch pieces, and place in a large saucepan. Cover with water, add two teaspoons salt, and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10–15 minutes, or until a fork slides through the potatoes easily.
Drain and transfer the potatoes to a large bowl, along with the green onions, celery, red pepper, pickle relish, and two of the hard boiled eggs (chopped).
In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, celery salt, and vinegar.
If you don’t have celery salt, you can substitute 1–2 teaspoons of celery seed, plus ½ teaspoon salt.
Pour the mayonnaise dressing over the potato mixture, and toss gently with a spatula to combine.
Transfer the red potato salad to a serving bowl. Slice the remaining hard boiled egg, and arrange it on top. Sprinkle with paprika, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, substitute an equal amount of low-fat mayonnaise in place of the regular mayonnaise.
Most potato salads are gluten free (including this one). As always, check the label on any packaged ingredients to be sure. It is also dairy-free.
Unfortunately, potato salad will become watery after being frozen. Store it in the refrigerator, and enjoy the potato salad within 5–6 days of making it.
Slide a fork through a piece of potato. If it slides through easily, the potatoes are done. If the fork meets some resistance, boil for a few more minutes and test again.
Can potato salad be made ahead of time?
This recipe for The Best Red Potato Salad can be made up to 2 days ahead of serving it. Store it in a covered container in the refrigerator, and give it a stir before serving.
When you serve it, the potato salad can sit at room temperature for up to 4 hours.
Here are a few ideas for variations, and a few tips making this salad extra easy.
- Substitute jarred pimento peppers (chopped) for the red pepper
- Purchase hard boiled eggs that are already peeled (this is SUCH a time saver!)
- Substitute 2 teaspoons of celery seed + one-half teaspoon of salt for the celery salt
- Sprinkle smoked paprika on top
- Substitute chopped red onion in place of the green onion
- Use white vinegar in place of the apple cider vinegar
- You can use either dill pickle relish or sweet pickle relish
What to serve with red potato salad
Red Potato Salad is the perfect side dish for a cookout. Here are a few ideas for main dishes and other side dishes:
- Burgers or bratwursts
- Grilled chicken
- Steak kabobs
- Corn on the cob (with compound butter!)
- Grilled corn salad
Have you tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating and/or comment below!
Best Ever Red Potato Salad
- 7–8 medium red potatoes (about 6 cups when cooked)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ½ cup dill pickle relish
- ½ cup green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped red pepper
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery salt (or substitute 1 teaspoon celery seed + ½ teaspoon salt)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- For the top: paprika
- Cut the potatoes into ½ inch pieces. Place in a large saucepan, and cover with water. Add two teaspoons of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10–15 minutes, or until a fork slides through the potatoes easily.
- Drain the potatoes and place in a large bowl. Let cool slightly.
- Chop 2 of the hard boiled eggs, and add those to the potatoes, along with the celery, pickle relish, green onions, and red pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, celery salt, and vinegar.
- Pour the mayonnaise mixture over the potato mixture, and toss gently with a spatula to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Top the salad with the remaining hard boiled egg (sliced).