Grilled Corn Salad with Crumbled Bacon is the perfect throw-together summer salad. Serve with grilled burgers, kabobs, or a juicy steak!
Sweet corn season is short, but I look forward to it all year. It usually comes in late July in the Midwest, and lasts just a few months. I take full advantage of the short season and the warm weather by grilling corn as much as possible!
I’d much rather eat corn cut off the cob rather than on the cob—it doesn’t get stuck in your teeth that way. 🙂 This Grilled Corn Salad with Crumbled Bacon is a great way to enjoy the taste of grilled corn but in a refreshing salad with lots of flavor.
I start by placing corn on the cob on the grill. I remove the husks and silks before grilling it. You just want a light char here—enough for grill marks to show up but not enough to overcook the corn so it’s mushy. I usually give it 2 minutes over medium high heat, then flip it and cook for another 2 minutes on the other side before removing it and letting it cool.
As the corn is cooking and cooling, I prepare the rest of the salad: diced red pepper, green onions, fresh herbs, crumbled bacon, and a quick homemade vinaigrette.
For the herbs, you can use whatever you like. I used a mixture of basil and parsley. But chives or thyme would be nice additions, too!
To cut the corn off the cob, I stand one end of the corn in the bottom of a large mixing bowl, and use a sharp knife to cut the corn kernels away from the cob. I cut the bottom half of the corn kernels away from the cob first, then flip the cob over and do the other side. The mixing bowl keeps all of the corn contained so corn kernels aren’t flying all over the kitchen.
I like the Grilled Corn Salad at room temperature. You can also refrigerate the salad until you’re ready to eat. It’s best served within a few hours of cooking so the bacon stays crisp, but it’s delicious for a few days afterward (refrigerated), too.
I’ve served this grilled corn salad with grilled burgers, Greek chicken kabobs (souvlaki), grilled steak—it’s a versatile side that pairs well with so many grilled foods!Print
Grilled Corn Salad with Crumbled Bacon
Grilled Corn Salad is an easy summer side dish that pairs perfectly with burgers, kabobs, chicken, steak, and more!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4–6 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 4 ears sweet corn
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh herbs, finely chopped (I used a mixture of basil and parsley)
- 4 slices bacon (I used thick cut)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons champagne vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat a grill to medium heat. Remove the husks and silks from the corn. Place the corn on the grill and cook for 2–3 minutes, or until grill marks appear. Flip and cook for another 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, place the bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook, flipping occasionally, until crisp. Remove bacon from the skillet and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain. When the bacon is cool, crumble it with your fingers or chop with a knife.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the kernels off the ears of corn. I stand the ear of corn on its base in a large bowl, and cut the kernels off from there. The bowl catches all of the corn kernels so you don’t have corn flying everywhere.
- Add the diced red pepper, green onions, fresh herbs, and crumbled bacon to the corn.
- In a small jar with a tight fitting lid, combine the olive oil, vinegar, honey, and sea salt. Shake to combine. Pour over the corn mixture and toss gently to incorporate. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Keywords: summer salad, corn salad