This sweet Chex Mix recipe is filled with warm flavors of cinnamon, molasses, and ginger. Whip up a batch and watch your guests devour it!
Apple Cinnamon Chex Mix is a sticky-sweet mixture of crunchy Chex, a sweet cinnamon-infused syrup, dried apple slices, and toasted pecans.
The aroma from the oven while it’s baking is mouthwatering, and it’s delicious with a bottle of beer or hard cider. We love it for watching football games in the fall, but it’s delicious anytime of year!
- A combination of Rice Chex, Wheat Chex, and Corn Chex provides a nice variety in this mix. If you want to make it gluten free, just use Corn Chex and Rice Chex.
- A sweet syrup made with brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup coats the Chex.
- The syrup is flavored with cinnamon and ginger for lots of warm, fall flavor.
- The pecans will toast in the oven, which intensifies their flavor even more.
- Dried apple chips get tossed in at the very end.
How to make apple cinnamon Chex mix
Preheat oven to 250°F. Place the Chex and pecans on a large baking sheet. I like to line the baking sheet with a silicone mat to prevent the mixture from sticking to the pan.
Then, combine the butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook until the butter melts and the sugar is dissolved.
Stir in the baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. The baking soda will cause the mixture to foam a little bit. That is a good thing!
Pour the syrup over the Chex and pecans, and stir to coat.
Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes. Remove it from the oven and add the apple chips, and toss everything together. It’s important to add the apple chips after baking—they would get rock hard in the oven if you added them before!
How can I make Chex Mix gluten-free?
Traditional Chex Mix calls for Corn, Rice, and Wheat Chex. To make the mix gluten-free, omit the wheat Chex and add more corn Chex and/or Rice Chex. As always, check any additional ingredient labels for gluten (which will be labeled as “contains wheat”).
What beverages pair best with Chex Mix?
Beer and hard cider complement the flavors of Chex Mix nicely. A beer and a bowl of Chex mix on the couch, while watching football, sounds pretty nice!
How to serve apple cinnamon Chex Mix
This mix is SUCH a great party snack. I’ve made it several times now, along with a savory Chex Mix, for get-togethers.
It’s an excellent dinner party snack while the food is cooking. It’s perfect for football watching or guys’ nights—it tastes great with beer or hard cider.
Apple Cinnamon Chex Mix
- 3 cups Rice Chex
- 3 cups Corn Chex
- 3 cups Wheat Chex (substitute more Rice or Corn Chex to make this gluten-free)
- 1½ cups pecan halves
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups apple chips
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Place the Chex and pecan halves on a large baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Place the butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook until the butter melts and the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in the cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, and kosher salt. Mixture will foam a little bit.
- Pour the butter and sugar mixture over the Chex and pecans. Toss to combine.
- Bake for 60 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes.
- After 60 minutes, remove from the oven. Cool for 5 minutes, and then pour the mixture onto wax paper to cool, breaking it up with your hands.
- Stir in the apple chips. Let cool completely and store in an airtight container.